Sunday, April 21, 2013

Great Combinations



Sometimes pairing the simplest foods in great combinations elevates my meal beyond what I first expected. I love starting off brainstorming about recipes by thinking about color, texture, and flavor combinations; fortunately this naturally guides me towards a nutritious meal. As I seek out diversity for my palate, I easily fill my plate with protein, whole grains, or fiber, but more importantly: flavor! And the best part for me is that I'm starting with real, plant-based foods. I feel good. My meal looks appealing. The taste is fantastic. 

Black Bean, Sweet Potato, Kale, and Brie Quesadilla

Ingredients: (Serves 1 hungry or 2 slightly hungry people)
2 tortillas (I like Ezekiel brand)
1 can unsalted black beans (or your own cooked!)
1 medium sweet potato
A handful of kale leaves, my preference is red kale
Your favorite brie cheese (I used Mt. Townsend Creamery)

Directions:
1. Cut up the sweet potato into small chunks 
2. Roast in the oven at 425 with some olive oil until soft
3. Prep quesadillas by placing cheese, black beans, kale and sweet potato between two tortillas
4. Cook in a skillet, preferably a cast iron until warm and crispy



No comments:

Post a Comment